Children are a Gift from the Lord
We at Mt. Olive Lutheran Church, recognize our Preschool as an integral and vital ministry to our congregation and community. As God, in Christ Jesus, shares His love, forgiveness, and salvation with us, so Mt. Olive Preschool shares these blessings with others.
We strive to:
- Help children establish and grow in their Christian faith and make that faith part of their everyday lives.
- Encourage their positive feelings toward learning by introducing them to a Christ-centered, child focused curriculum.
- Enhance their readiness for school.
|9:00 - 11:30 am||Tues/Thurs||3-year olds|
|9:00 - Noon||Mon/Weds/Fri||4-year olds|
|1:00 - 4:00 pm||Mon/Weds/Fri||4-5 year olds|
|1:00 - 3:30 pm||Tues/Thurs||3-year olds|
Mt. Olive Preschool provides learning experiences that will help children grow in each of the following areas:
- See themselves as God's children
- Know Jesus loves them
- Look to Him as a role model
- Gain a positive self-concept
- Channel emotions into appropriate and acceptable outlets
- Adjust to group situations
- Develop large motor skills through play, games and dance
- Develop fine motor skills through coloring, printing, cutting, etc.
- Continue to develop language use
- Improve focus and concentration
- Practice pre-reading skills such as recognizing numbers, letters, colors, shapes, and reciting the alphabet
- Be free to create artistically using a variety of media
- Learn to share and take turns
- Make a comfortable separation from Mom and/or Dad
- Practice being "kind" to one another and to follow Jesus command to "Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:12)
A child must be three or fours years old by the first day of September and be completely potty trained. (Neither diapers nor "pullups" may be worn.)
Non Discrimination Policy
Mt. Olive Lutheran Preschool does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, national, ethnic or religious origin in admissions or administration of any policies or programs.
3-year old class - $100 per month - $900 for the year
4/5 -year old class - $145 per month - $1,305 for the year
September - May (9 months)
Please submit the following to the church office:
- completed application form (download as a pdf)
- non-refundable $50 enrollment deposit;
- current immunization record from either a doctor or a health clinic (must be submitted by the first day of class).
15 students - 3-year old class
15 students - 4/5 year old class
Sheiba Gatzke, Lead Teacher
Teacher Sheiba joined our preschool in 2010. She has a contagious love for children and that special ability to anticipate just what each student needs – a kind word, redirection, encouragement, or a friend to play with. Her life long love for learning is evident in the yearly classes she takes to continue growing in the field of early childhood education. Sheiba, her husband Robert, and 8th grade son Kaylen are active members at Mt. Olive.
Jessica O'Rear, Teacher Assistant
Teacher Jessica joined our preschool staff in 2011. Her calm, patient manner is so reassuring to preschoolers. She is certified in pediatric first aid. Jessica has expanded her teaching skills at the yearly Lutheran Teachers Conference. Her family lives and works in Forest Grove. Her son Daniel is in 2nd grade at Dilley Elementary and daughter Kara is 4. The family is active at the Cornelius Methodist Church.
Preschool Director Linda Holscher
Linda is a graduate of Pacific University and earned her Masters of Education at Portland State University. She has been a teacher with the Hillsboro School District for 35 years. She is an active member at Mt. Olive.
After playing store in class and learning about healthy foods, the 4’s class enjoyed a tour of Gaston Market. Each child also shopped for healthy food that they contributed to holiday baskets.
Parents are Partners
Parents are welcome to visit. To volunteer in the classroom we must first do a background check. Opportunities to get involved also exist for those who want to help beyond the school day.